AIN Forums 1.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Proposal | Reformed Legislature System for the AIN

+7
woodb3kmaster
Edge
Daniel
Thomas
Saathoff
Blakeway4
Neil
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Proposal | Reformed Legislature System for the AIN Empty Proposal | Reformed Legislature System for the AIN

Post by Neil 8th April 2010, 01:05

As far as i'm aware the AIN has no set-out system for passing and archiving of legislation. The only solid and official documentation seems to be the constitution.
Coming from the COFR where we had a three pillar system to our acts and they were well archived for quick reference, I believe the AIN should implement a similar system. My system has five pillars and is relatively simple once it becomes common practice. This proposal will be set out like the way this proposal proposes proposals to proposed like (if that made any sense Cheeky/Razz).

Proposal | Legislature System Reformation Act (Stature) wrote:

This proposal keeps the existing means of proposing and voting upon potential legislation with the following amendments:

• Introductions and brainstorming are permitted in the proposals chamber, but within the voting chamber proposed legislation must be worded accordingly so that it can be read and interpreted by a future member as if they were reading a rulebook (e.g. as opposed to: "ok guys so i was thinking we could ban Tv after 9pm, vote on what time you think tv should be banned at or not at all." Instead you could have: "This proposed act will prohibit TV after 9pm in your nation, please vote on whether you approve."). This is in order to make clear exactly what the actual law is and means debating is kept to the debate chamber.
  • The below rules are to done by the member proposing a law or failing that, the moderator (currently Daniel)/admin team...
  • In the proposals thread, all open proposals should be prefixed "Proposal |", once agreed to go to vote they are prefixed "At Vote |", once voting has ended they are prefixed "Closed |" or "Declined |" and locked. Again, this allows for member to see what has been proposed, what was accepted and allows them to know whether their opinion is still wanted on a proposal.
  • In the voting chamber proposals are prefixed "Vote Open |" when voting is in progress (the standard will be 7 days) "Vote Closed - Approved" or "Vote Closed - Declined" after the poll ends. This is also to allow members t only engage in active topics and also helps the admins with the next proposal.
  • A new sub-forum is to be created under 'Chamber of Intelligence' called 'Archives of the Chamber' where all acts in the voting chamber are moved - approved or not - 3 days after voting ends, by an admin or the moderator of the chamber. The topics will also be locked and protected in the same way ordinary archives are.
  • Proposals will fall under one of the five pillars detailed below, it is the proposers decision as to which it they wish for it to fall under and they may change it at any time whilst in the debate chamber, an admin may change it if it is an inappropriate type (e.g. only admins can propose orders) or if asked to by the proposer.

The Five Pillar System

The system orders bills in importance, meaning a level 2 statute saying "It will be illegal to sell cheese in any AIN nation" will over-rule a previous level 1.5 treaty between Holidia and Petrova agreeing "both nations will not sell cheese on a friday in order to preserve national cheese reserves". This also means that acts do not have to be modified but simply 'patched' by an external amendment and that the constitution can be amended without having to re-write it.

[LEVEL 1] Directive:

Can Be Proposed By: Junior Members, Full Members, Administrators, Union Founder
Can Be Voted On By: Junior Members, Full Members, Administrators, Union Founder
Requires: A simple majority (i.e. one vote majority) at vote for a minimum period of 7 days
Necessary Poll options: [YES], [NO], [ABSTAIN]
Legal Status: Does not automatically become union law and therefore needn't be applied to all countries, only nations wishing to ratify the law will do so
Examples: Forum Guidelines, vetoed statures, minor forum issues, other minor issues, setting up of organs
Comments: All former proposals accepted will become directives unless they fore-mention that they must be ratified by all member nations

[LEVEL 1.5] Treaty:

NOTE: TREATIES WILL NOT NORMALLY BE VOTED UPON IN THE VOTING CHAMBER AND USUALLY ARE FORMED IN PRIVATE UPON CONFIRMATION ALL INVOLVED PARTIES AGREE

Can Be Proposed By: Any Person (Including those not a member of the AIN)
Can Be Voted On By: Involved Parties
Requires: All involved parties agree
Necessary Poll options: (None, private agreement)
Legal Status: Not union law, but a legally binding document that can be disputed before the AIN Court
Examples: Trade agreements, Visa waivers, Border disputes, De-Militarization
Comments: -

[LEVEL 2] Statute:

Can Be Proposed By: Full Members, Administrators, Union Founder
Can Be Voted On By: Full Members, Administrators, Union Founder
Requires: 2/3 Majority (i.e. two votes approval) and at least five confirmed votes for a minimum of 12 days
Necessary Poll options: [YES], [NO], [ABSTAIN], [VETO]
Legal Status: Must be ratified with 30 days by all Full Member nations and also any nations upon granting of full membership, may be ratified by junior members but this is not legally required. If a nation believes the new act is unjust, puts their national security at risk or in any other way drastically affects their sovereignty they may veto the act giving justification, if the proposer wishes to dispute the veto it must be brought to the AIN court.
Examples: Major changes to forums, military laws, transport/travel laws etc.
Comments: A current example would be Declaration of Human Rights and Operation Emergency

[LEVEL 3] Order:

Can Be Proposed By: Full Members, Department Heads, Administrators, Union Founder
Can Be Voted On By: Department Heads, Administrators, Union Founder
Requires: 2/3 Majority (i.e. two votes approval) and at least five confirmed votes for a minimum of 12 days
Legal Status: Must be ratified by all, no exceptions
Examples: Forum Rules, Constitution, extremely important laws etc
Comments: -

[LEVEL 4] Amendment:

Can Be Proposed By: Full Members, Administrators, Union Founder
Can Be Voted On By: Full Members, Administrators, Union Founder
Legal Status: See whatever it amends
Examples: Adding to constitution, adding exceptions to a statute
Comments: Overrides previous law

I have a feeling this may be controversial and i am willing to modify this to suit what everyone wants. I appreciate your comments... Wink :suspect:

:AOIN:

Last edited by Neil on 8th April 2010, 19:13; edited 5 times in total
Neil
Neil
Chargé d'Affaires

http://neilmoore.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Proposal | Reformed Legislature System for the AIN Empty Re: Proposal | Reformed Legislature System for the AIN

Post by Blakeway4 8th April 2010, 01:31

I agree with all of this proposal for the moment, lets see other comments. Laugh
Blakeway4
Blakeway4
International Bigwig

Back to top Go down

Proposal | Reformed Legislature System for the AIN Empty Re: Proposal | Reformed Legislature System for the AIN

Post by Saathoff 8th April 2010, 02:15

Im not in favor.
Saathoff
Saathoff
Prime Minister

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomas 8th April 2010, 10:18

What's wrong with the current system? :GG:
Thomas
Thomas
Overlord of Eurasia

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel 8th April 2010, 10:31

I like the idea, but I think it should be simplified.
Daniel
Daniel
On Leave

Back to top Go down

Post by Neil 8th April 2010, 12:36

Ok a pretty mixed response, the only thing wrong with the old system is that it gets confusing looking back at previously made laws, this new system also ensures important laws don't pass by the skin of their teeth.
It also introduces veto power, allowing a nation to stop a law in it's tracks if it seriously affects their country in a negative way. The veto power may also introduce more roleplay into the AIN court.

Any ways you propose to simplify it further?

##Removed Executive Order
Neil
Neil
Chargé d'Affaires

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel 8th April 2010, 12:47

Also, there's a spelling mistake. It should say "Statute," not "Stature."
Daniel
Daniel
On Leave

Back to top Go down

Post by Neil 8th April 2010, 12:55

haha, my mistake.
Neil
Neil
Chargé d'Affaires

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel 8th April 2010, 13:25

This idea is really growing on me. I think it's a good way of implementing a tiered system.

Just a couple of issues: I don't think we really need Presidential approval for treaties, as these would be agreed on between nations and as long as all parties involved in the treaty agree with it, it should then become law.

Where is says 1/3 majority, should that be 2/3 majority?

Other than that, I think it's a good idea.
Daniel
Daniel
On Leave

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomas 8th April 2010, 14:16

Oh, I understand it now. I like it, I'll re-read it once it's finalised and ready for voting.
Thomas
Thomas
Overlord of Eurasia

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Neil 8th April 2010, 14:18

Yes 2/3 majority - sorry typo Cheeky/Razz

Ok, i am going to change it that treaties are put into a different sub-forum for archiving - once both parties agree. No executive approval...
Neil
Neil
Chargé d'Affaires

Back to top Go down

Post by Saathoff 9th April 2010, 02:03

Im still a no. I wanna know where you think whats wrong with the current system? Why fix something that isnt broke?
Saathoff
Saathoff
Prime Minister

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Edge 9th April 2010, 03:23

Yeah, isn't this sort of what we have now?
Edge
Edge
Chargé d'Affaires

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel 9th April 2010, 10:57

I don't really think it's a major change, it's just augmenting it. Currently, there isn't really a way of knowing how binding something is. I think this might clarify the situation in a lot of cases.
Daniel
Daniel
On Leave

Back to top Go down

Post by Neil 9th April 2010, 14:46

Dan has basically hit the nail on the head with this, yes all this proposal is doing is making the system formal with a few improvements (such as the tiered system).

I am not saying the old system is broke, just simply the fact that there could be a few improvements, some of these give more opportunity for role-play whilst others will give clarification on exactly who/what proposals accepted apply to...
Neil
Neil
Chargé d'Affaires

Back to top Go down

Post by Blakeway4 9th April 2010, 15:03

skin of their teeth? I like that english expression! Laugh I still agree.
Blakeway4
Blakeway4
International Bigwig

Back to top Go down

Post by woodb3kmaster 9th April 2010, 23:01

This sounds like a great suggestion. I'm in favor.
woodb3kmaster
woodb3kmaster
Permanent Secretary

Back to top Go down

Post by Edge 10th April 2010, 00:36

I could agree to this, then.
Edge
Edge
Chargé d'Affaires

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyler 10th April 2010, 01:25

I'm in favor... for once me and Nate disagree on something Cheeky/Razz
Tyler
Tyler
Permanent Ban
Permanent Ban

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Saathoff 10th April 2010, 03:41

Neil wrote:Dan has basically hit the nail on the head with this, yes all this proposal is doing is making the system formal with a few improvements (such as the tiered system).

I am not saying the old system is broke, just simply the fact that there could be a few improvements, some of these give more opportunity for role-play whilst others will give clarification on exactly who/what proposals accepted apply to...

Then dont propose a full revamp of it. Propose new ideas to make it run better.
Saathoff
Saathoff
Prime Minister

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Neil 10th April 2010, 12:57

Saathoff wrote:
Neil wrote:Dan has basically hit the nail on the head with this, yes all this proposal is doing is making the system formal with a few improvements (such as the tiered system).

Then dont propose a full revamp of it. Propose new ideas to make it run better.

Which is exactly what I am doing by introducing the tiered law system and the requirement for a law archive. I asked above for any other improvements and if anyone has any other suggestions I would be more than happy to add them to this proposal.
Neil
Neil
Chargé d'Affaires

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter 10th April 2010, 14:14

After reading this like ten times(I'm not really good with law, I failed government class Cheeky/Razz ) ummm I think that this is a good way to refine the AIN government black and white. Even though our current system is good, I think that there are some gray areas and this proposal helps to put those gray spots in black or white. I'm somewhat in favor 👍

Neil, this is a major topic, give it a couple more days of discussion before putting it in the voting polls.
Peter
Peter
Honoured Member
Honoured Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel 10th April 2010, 15:20

I think we should have a meeting about it, actually.
Daniel
Daniel
On Leave

Back to top Go down

Post by Aranho 10th April 2010, 18:15

The proposal is pretty fine by me. I don't see any major changes, with very few minor changes.
Aranho
Aranho
Sovereign

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Neil 11th April 2010, 13:46

Well perhaps this is something we can bring up at the next union meeting. Next week it is due to be isn't it?
Neil
Neil
Chargé d'Affaires

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next