AIN Forums 1.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Wiki is in the works

+10
Liberater444
emperordaniel
will
Aranho
woodb3kmaster
Blakeway4
MiguelLeal
Thomas
Kevin
Daniel
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

New Wiki is in the works - Page 2 Empty Re: New Wiki is in the works

Post by Daniel 18th June 2011, 05:40

No, it's the whole server. Very frustrating.
Daniel
Daniel
On Leave

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel 18th June 2011, 06:22

Update on the situation - apparently this happens from time to time. The server goes down for a couple of days every few months for maintenance, backups or whatever.

No word yet on how much long it will be, but I've asked them on their facebook page. Just keep trying every so often and if you notice that it's back up, please let everyone know.
Daniel
Daniel
On Leave

Back to top Go down

Post by Blakeway4 18th June 2011, 15:56

Ok, thnx for the info Dan Smile
Blakeway4
Blakeway4
International Bigwig

Back to top Go down

Post by Sirron kcuhc 18th June 2011, 17:03

Sad to hear about the crash. I really need to start my Matinenda page, and I am once the Wiki gets back online.
Sirron kcuhc
Mayor

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomas 18th June 2011, 17:05

What you could do, is start it on the old Wiki (http://aoin.wikia.com) and then just copy the source onto the other one, once it's back online.
Thomas
Thomas
Overlord of Eurasia

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel 18th June 2011, 17:17

Just to keep you all updated, there are no updates. As far as I can tell, this is a pretty major server crash. It appears it is not the first time this has happened with Shout Wiki.

It gets worse.

The last time this happened, they apparently lost a weeks worth of data. If that has happened again, it may mean that almost everything we've done has been lost. Obviously, fingers and toes crossed this hasn't happened.

If it has all been lost, we will have a decision to make. First off, going back to Wikia is out of the question. The format is inflexible.

The decision will be to either stay with Shout Wiki, or move to Wikii. Either way, if we have lost everything we are going to have to redo it all, so starting fresh with another, more stable server, would probably be the way to go.

What I will be recommending is that when everything is back online, and hopefully little if anything has been lost, we should all copy and paste the source code of our articles into notepad and keep them on our own computers as a backup. I will be doing this with the infobox templates as well.

I will, of course, keep you all posted of any further developments and if I ever get an answer from Shout Wiki regarding its status, I will let you know immediately.

In the meantime, please keep trying the wiki every so often and if you notice it has revived, please post here as soon as possible so we can get back to business.
Daniel
Daniel
On Leave

Back to top Go down

Post by Blakeway4 19th June 2011, 01:01

Thanks for the advice, I will definitely do this. I hope we won't lose everything!
Blakeway4
Blakeway4
International Bigwig

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel 19th June 2011, 09:11

Have heard back from Shout Wiki. Apparently the data centre is having connectivity issues. I gather that means that the problem is not with the servers themselves, but with the cables connecting them to the web. I have asked if anything has been lost and am waiting for an answer.
Daniel
Daniel
On Leave

Back to top Go down

Post by Forsma 21st June 2011, 19:10

I think we should have routine backup to other wiki sites to secure our works so it wont be gone or inaccessible when the main sites down for a while.

as for now if somebody can access it, copy all articles from there to our old wiki. Laugh
Forsma
Forsma
Prime Minister

http://www.kaskus.us/showthread.php?t=7018182

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel 24th June 2011, 21:59

I'm taking a bit of time out of my holiday to give you an update on the Wiki situation. We have FINALLY heard a definitave word from Shout Wiki. As well as apologising for their lack of communication, they have informed us that the server has essentially gone bung. They don't know if anything has been lost, but they are working on complete recovery.

Their old server is located in Poland and they are currently in the process of shifting the whole operation to a new server in the USA. This American server is far more stable and shouldn't be plagued with the same gremlins as the Polish server.

They're still open for business and have no intention of closing down. My thoughts are that we stick with them. Unfortunately they can't give us a timeline for the restoration, but they have said that they are moving everything, so that can take a while, especially as they are a small company and only have a few staff on their tech team.

So there's nothing else we can do but wait. This is not the fault of Shout Wiki as they are dependent on their data centre, which has been giving them the runaround the past week.

In the meantime, you might like to continue planning your articles.
Daniel
Daniel
On Leave

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomas 26th June 2011, 16:23

A quick update for you all now. The wiki is now back online, however due to the ongoing server move the wikis are read-only. So you can create coding for new wiki articles, but can't save them.

So what I advise you do is start your wikis, you can click edit, but copy the coding into a Word file or something, and once the wiki is fully editable, then copy the coding over!
If anyone has any problems, just PM me, since Daniel's enjoying his holiday right now. Smile
Thomas
Thomas
Overlord of Eurasia

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2