AIN Forums 1.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Day 2

5 posters

Go down

Day 2 Empty Day 2

Post by Thomas 22nd April 2010, 18:24

Day 2 Day2

Today’s discussions and debates will take place in the Capital Hotel, currently the tallest building in Ollingdale.

Day 2 Day2Image

Today’s we are asking how you developed your CBD and Downtown cities, again with five or more points and ideas as to how you created your dense districts.

Example

Spoiler:
Thomas
Thomas
Overlord of Eurasia

Male

Back to top Go down

Day 2 Empty Re: Day 2

Post by anarchy0029 22nd April 2010, 18:40

From Hypertrophy's suggestion

- Downtown should have an activity during the day and a portion of night. Make sure you place shops or eateries. (Try to avoid mods with parking lots if you can, too much isn't attractive)

- Downtown should have a civic center. Make sure you place them at an appropriate location. It should consist of a City Hall, Courthouse, Gov't Bldg, A Police Headquarters, and an Emergency Center.

- Take careful time in designing a downtown using smaller mods. Beleive me they fill the voids when you place large towers.

- Waterfronts should have a special theme for downtown recreation, Anywhere from a rec center, shopping pier, beachfronts, promenades, or a marina. Seawalls are great, but you want to utilize it for activity.

- Operas, theatres, museums, or art galleries should be placed primarily in the residential area. Plus it helps grow your residential area the way you want it to be.

- Also don't be afraid to use diagonal roads, it shows you are versitle and realistic in designing your city. In Europe and Asia, the streets aren't always parallel. Same goes for NYC, Boston, Montreal, and Baltimore, and Mexico City.
anarchy0029
anarchy0029
Counsel

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#/home.php?ref=logo

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel 22nd April 2010, 20:09

I started with a shape. Providence and Redding City were both designed around a circular (or, rather, octagonal) pattern, Yorke was designed on a grid.

I'm a big fan of central plazas or town squares marking the centre of town. The CBD should be the focus of business during the day and have a decent night life.

CBDs should have a recognisable skyline. There should be buildings that are unique to that city. Avoid using the same custom content in more than once city.

Transport systems should radiate outwards from the CBD so there needs to be an interchange near the centre of the city.

The most imoportant thing is to stick to a theme. Redding City was always meant to be the "big" city, with tall buildings and high population density. Yorke is the second city - more open planned, but still big enough that you don't feel as though you're standing in an open field. Providence, being purpose-built as the capital, was designed to be charming and small, yet attractive.
Daniel
Daniel
On Leave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 23rd April 2010, 02:41

- Start from a main avenue
- Plop some plopables building if the demand is big enough.
- Make some street to connect the avenues(recomended to use the SSM).
- Make some over and underpass.
- Use the hirise civic building.

Back to top Go down

Post by Liberater444 23rd April 2010, 04:30

My Response
Spoiler:

Last edited by Liberater444 on 23rd April 2010, 12:38; edited 1 time in total
Liberater444
Liberater444
Ambassador At Large

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by emgmod 23rd April 2010, 06:55

Use spoiler tags. They save space.
Spoiler:
emgmod
emgmod
High Commissioner

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomas 23rd April 2010, 17:00

emgmod wrote:
- Gradually lower the density of buildings from the CBD to suburbs. I hate when people post pictures of single family homes next to probably plopped skyscrapers. Midtown districts are useful for this.

Ah - just a note to everyone that that skyscraper actually grew out of nowhere in Ollingdale, when the CBD and surrounding areas was still small in comparison to it. Cheeky/Razz
Thomas
Thomas
Overlord of Eurasia

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel 23rd April 2010, 18:46

Thomas - the same thing happened in Providence. I just sat there, with my jaw dropping as they built it higher and higher and higher. I was forced to develop the Downtown area so it didn't look completely out of place.
Daniel
Daniel
On Leave

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomas 23rd April 2010, 19:00

It is quite annoying, isn't it? Might need to find some more high-density ploppable homes. Cheeky/Razz
Thomas
Thomas
Overlord of Eurasia

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by emgmod 23rd April 2010, 19:11

Ploppable residential doesn't work. You have to use nonfunctioning landmarks to achieve the effect.
emgmod
emgmod
High Commissioner

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum