AIN Forums 1.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Day 3

5 posters

Go down

Day 3 Empty Day 3

Post by Thomas 24th April 2010, 10:39

Day 3 Day3

Welcome to Woking, the second biggest city in the UIO for the third day of this City Building Workshop Summit. Today we’re based in the biggest university in Ollingdale, the Woking University, where the architecture and urban planning departments assist the Government in planning new districts in the country. It is a Centre for Architectural Excellency.

Day 3 Day3Image

Today’s topic is suburban areas, small towns and farming communities. Please post at least 5 points on how you have developed your suburban and rural districts and advice for those who are planning on working on suburbs or farmland.

Example

Spoiler:
Thomas
Thomas
Overlord of Eurasia

Male

Back to top Go down

Day 3 Empty Re: Day 3

Post by Blakeway4 24th April 2010, 12:18

Here's my style of planning on suburbs, small towns and farms Laugh

Spoiler:
Blakeway4
Blakeway4
International Bigwig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 24th April 2010, 17:07

- I use SAM for the suburban street (usually aspalt one).
- Don't make house on the avenues otherwise streets.
- Plop some park in the middle of suburban.
- I make some blank spot for realism.
- Zone some commercial at the avenues or roads outside of residential neighborhood.

Back to top Go down

Post by emgmod 24th April 2010, 17:22

Spoiler:

Last edited by emgmod on 25th April 2010, 08:46; edited 1 time in total
emgmod
emgmod
High Commissioner

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel 24th April 2010, 22:54

Arcacia is a very urbanised environment due to the limited space. The only "rural" area is the farmland between Yorke and Newhaven. Most of that is now a golf course and an airport.
Daniel
Daniel
On Leave

Back to top Go down

Post by Blakeway4 24th April 2010, 23:21

Wait Dan, how much International airports does Arcacia has?
Blakeway4
Blakeway4
International Bigwig

Back to top Go down

Post by woodb3kmaster 24th April 2010, 23:50

My approach to building suburbs is fairly organic, with minimal planning beyond the arterial network. Almost all streets in my subdivisions end in cul-de-sacs, leading into a loose network of roads. Lately I've started throwing in a couple of suburban apartment complexes here and there, but the vast majority of my suburbs is low-density. I also put commercial zones at most arterial intersections, though they're usually nothing big. Occasionally, I plop larger big-box commercial strips, especially near freeways.
woodb3kmaster
woodb3kmaster
Permanent Secretary

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel 25th April 2010, 05:15

Julien - Arcacia has 4 airports, though only 3 are open to commercial traffic. Of those, 1 (Yorke) only has 5 flights. The 2 major airports are Redding and Providence. Of those, only Redding is open to foreign airlines.
Daniel
Daniel
On Leave

Back to top Go down

Post by emgmod 25th April 2010, 08:47

I updated mine. How do you place commercial zones in your suburbs? I just build them along the arterial roads.
emgmod
emgmod
High Commissioner

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by woodb3kmaster 25th April 2010, 09:26

emgmod wrote:I updated mine. How do you place commercial zones in your suburbs? I just build them along the arterial roads.
That's also where most of my commercial zones are, although in some places I build small commercial districts (either griddy or staggered rectangles) with C-zones on the side streets as well. These areas are intended to be "village"-type developments, a kind of planned small town center in the midst of suburbia. I've also experimented a little with building small office parks, but I don't have a lot of suburban-style CO BATs to choose from.

As for the zones on arterials, I usually make them three or four cells deep (holding CTRL if necessary) to encourage smaller big-box stores (really more of the strip-mall type), restaurants and gas stations to grow.
woodb3kmaster
woodb3kmaster
Permanent Secretary

Back to top Go down

Post by Blakeway4 25th April 2010, 13:22

Ok, thanks Dan Cheeky/Razz
Blakeway4
Blakeway4
International Bigwig

Back to top Go down