AIN Forums 1.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Near Miss

+2
Blakeway4
Daniel
6 posters

Go down

Near Miss Empty Near Miss

Post by Daniel 26th April 2011, 10:51

PROVIDENCE - An Arcacian Airlines 737 was very nearly involved in a head-on collision today. Flight 117 from Providence to Melbourne was cruising at 30,000 feet when a Qantas 737 travelling from Melbourne to Providence passed within 50 metres. Passengers in both planes were shocked to see each other go past at a combined speed of over 1500km/h.

Arcacian Airlines has placed the blame totally with Qantas for flying without suitable separation. Due to the heading of the Qantas plane's flight, it should have been at an odd-numbered flight level, guaranteeing at least 1000 feet of separation. Instead, it was at the same altitude as the Arcacian Airlines plane. Air Services Australia has stated that air traffic control should have ordered the Qantas plane to either climb or descend in order to maintain separation and is now conducting their own internal investigation.

Both aircraft are fitted with collision avoidance systems and the system told the Qantas pilot to swerve to avoid collision, whilst the Arcacian pilot was ordered to maintain course. Both planes landed safely at their destinations.
Daniel
Daniel
On Leave

Back to top Go down

Near Miss Empty Re: Near Miss

Post by Blakeway4 26th April 2011, 23:10

Stupid Qantas... cannot flight well... Cheeky/Razz

BTW, that is pretty rare! How can that be possible? I hope the investigations will get conclusions.
Blakeway4
Blakeway4
International Bigwig

Back to top Go down

Post by Forsma 26th April 2011, 23:16

wow, only 50 meters? very unique accident...
Forsma
Forsma
Prime Minister

http://www.kaskus.us/showthread.php?t=7018182

Back to top Go down

Post by K50 Dude 26th April 2011, 23:21

I've had that happen to me before Cheeky/Razz I was on a US Airways 737 when a British Airways 747 passed under us about one thousand feet below (close enough where I could totally tell it was a 747 and recognize the livery. Scary stuff.

Though 50 meters = 160-odd feet = probably a bit more scary Cheeky/Razz
K50 Dude
K50 Dude
Permanent Secretary

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel 27th April 2011, 04:50

100 feet vertical separation is perfectly normal.

50 metres lateral separation at 30,000 feet and 1500 km/h combined speed isn't. It's so close you can hear the other plane's engines and there is turbulence as you pass through each other's wake.
Daniel
Daniel
On Leave

Back to top Go down

Post by emgmod 27th April 2011, 06:16

K50: I've been on a US Airways 767 and had a UPS 757 (I think a 757) pass by a few thousand feet to the left. It happened for less than a second, and I wish I got a picture.
emgmod
emgmod
High Commissioner

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Aranho 27th April 2011, 09:31

Qantas. Always in the headlines. First the real A380 story, now this fictional news. Smile
Aranho
Aranho
Sovereign

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum