AIN Forums 1.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Day 7

4 posters

Go down

Day 7 Empty Day 7

Post by Thomas 30th April 2010, 18:16

Day 7 Day7

Welcome to the final day of the City Building Workshop, here in Ollingdale. This session will be hosted in the Parliament Building in the Green District, in the centre of Ollingdale.

Day 7 Day7Image

To end this summit, please post a summary of how you build a quality nation, including each type of district – rural, suburban, downtown and capital cities. Also try to mention realism, eye candy, transport and everything else you’ve spoken about or think has been missed out in the summit. Thank you for visiting Ollingdale over the past week, we hope you will return again soon.

Last edited by Thomas on 1st May 2010, 09:20; edited 1 time in total
Thomas
Thomas
Overlord of Eurasia

Male

Back to top Go down

Day 7 Empty Re: Day 7

Post by Peter 30th April 2010, 19:19

Awesome job on this summit Thomas! I really hope everyone got something productive and useful out of this summit!

For me, how I build a quality nation is by using organization. I really try to strive for realism, and when I'm building a city, I think of what its purpose will be, whether its romantic capital, sports capital, commercial hub, industrial hub, peaceful suburb, noisy downtown, or a farm town. I try to balance out the eye candy and growables because having a city full of eye candy is just not real anymore. 👍
Peter
Peter
Honoured Member
Honoured Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomas 30th April 2010, 19:55

Peter wrote:Awesome job on this summit Thomas! I really hope everyone got something productive and useful out of this summit!

For me, how I build a quality nation is by using organization. I really try to strive for realism, and when I'm building a city, I think of what its purpose will be, whether its romantic capital, sports capital, commercial hub, industrial hub, peaceful suburb, noisy downtown, or a farm town. I try to balance out the eye candy and growables because having a city full of eye candy is just not real anymore. 👍

Thanks Peter - despite a few delays due to exams and my Year 9 Retreat yesterday-today, I think this has gone well. I've certainly learnt a lot from this, and I've been changing some of my cities because of what I've read here. Just a note to everyone, you can still reply to all of the days, even Day 1, until 12PM tomorrow UK time. Smile

Having seen what other people have mentioned, and my own views, the best way I see to build a brilliant country is to combine every type of district in the city, and keep everything balanced. You cannot have a realistic country that is simply just skyscrapers and vast metropolises, unless it is a tiny principality or single-city country. Combining farmlands, suburban sprawl, midtowns and downtown and of course, a capital city area. Eye candy and functionality also need to be equally mixed. A city cannot exist for no reason, be it industrial waterways, resource-filled mountains and coastlines, tax havens or a demand for housing outside cities.
Transport, public services and amenities like parks are key to having a successful country, regardless of whether it's a small town or a city. Small things that people might not notice, such as a tiny commercial area in the heart of a residential district make all the difference to your realism and variety.

The best way to get superb images for your country is to think varied - if you lived in this area, what would you want to see? What would you expect? That is the way to build a brilliant country. Think that you are a resident there, or a worker there, and that will build the best area you can.
Thomas
Thomas
Overlord of Eurasia

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Blakeway4 30th April 2010, 23:00

Same as Peter for me! Cheeky/Razz Awesome job there Thomas! One of the best summit Laugh
Blakeway4
Blakeway4
International Bigwig

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel 1st May 2010, 08:53

I think it comes down to one simple thing: "What kind of country do I want to live in?" If you design the type of country you would like to call home, then you've succeeded.

Capitals should be a showcase of the best your country has to offer. Rural areas should be pleasant and urban areas should be well organised and easily accessed, as well as safe. Transport systems should be through and everyone should live within walking distance of some form of public transport.
Daniel
Daniel
On Leave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 3rd May 2010, 01:02

Nice summit!

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomas 3rd May 2010, 09:51

Thank you everyone for participating in this summit. I know there was a slight problem with the Summit's number (the graph said it was 3.3, the forums 3.2) but other than that I think it went well.
Thank you everyone for visiting Ollingdale. Smile
Thomas
Thomas
Overlord of Eurasia

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum