AIN Forums 1.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PASSED: Constitution Review Part 4 of 10 - ROLE OF GOVERNMENT

+6
woodb3kmaster
MiguelLeal
Jo
Luug
Blakeway4
Neil
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Should Section Four of the Constitutional Reform be accepted?

PASSED: Constitution Review Part 4 of 10 - ROLE OF GOVERNMENT Vote_lcap91%PASSED: Constitution Review Part 4 of 10 - ROLE OF GOVERNMENT Vote_rcap 91% 
[ 10 ]
PASSED: Constitution Review Part 4 of 10 - ROLE OF GOVERNMENT Vote_lcap9%PASSED: Constitution Review Part 4 of 10 - ROLE OF GOVERNMENT Vote_rcap 9% 
[ 1 ]
PASSED: Constitution Review Part 4 of 10 - ROLE OF GOVERNMENT Vote_lcap0%PASSED: Constitution Review Part 4 of 10 - ROLE OF GOVERNMENT Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
PASSED: Constitution Review Part 4 of 10 - ROLE OF GOVERNMENT Vote_lcap0%PASSED: Constitution Review Part 4 of 10 - ROLE OF GOVERNMENT Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 11

Poll closed

PASSED: Constitution Review Part 4 of 10 - ROLE OF GOVERNMENT Empty PASSED: Constitution Review Part 4 of 10 - ROLE OF GOVERNMENT

Post by Neil 21st November 2010, 19:48

This is the longest and arguably most important section of the constitution, please read carefully as this sets out how authority is controlled, used and scruntinized.

[4.0] ROLE OF GOVERNMENT

[4.1] THE EXECUTIVE is wholly elected and consists solely of the President and his Vice-President. The president is head of the executive department but the executive should function as a diarchy in all but ceremonial occasions.
[4.11] When the President absent for more than 5 days, the Vice-President will be in charge of the executive with the Chief Justice as his deputy until the President returns (if the absence is scheduled with the Vice President) or an election is called.
[4.11.1] In such an event, a new Chief Justice must be appointed.
[4.12] The executive will have all powers and privileges as administrators and the President will function as the Chief-Administrator.
[4.12.1] Unless a member of the executive is designated a permanent or was originally an administrator, these powers will be removed upon losing an election or resignation from office.
[4.13] The executive’s main roles include that of managing the administration of the forums, representing and promoting the union within the wider community, ensuring the domain and other paid services are maintained and sufficient funds are available for further subscription, preventing and solving union disputes, ensuring the smooth running of the AIN Parliamentary Branch and ensuring events take place smoothly and professionally amongst other minor roles.
[4.14] An executive will retain their office until they either resign, surrender office after a vote of no confidence is placed in the executive or allow their term to lapse via defeat in an election
[4.14.1] A President/Vice-President may individually resign from office at any time during their elected term via a letter of resignation. If the President resigns, the Vice-President shall take up his position and the Ministerial Cabinet will elect a minister to take the VP’s post. If the VP resigns then the President shall appoint a new Vice-President out of the Ministerial Cabinet. The new VP in either case shall then appoint an acting minister to take up their original position until elections can take place.
[4.14.2] If a member raises lack in confidence in the executive, all ‘Full’ Member States will be called to a vote chaired by the Chief Justice and the member raising the LOC. If there is a co-census that the executive is not performing their duties to a satisfactory manner then a Vote of No Confidence is made and both members of the executive will be required to call an election and surrender their positions within a week of the VOC.
[4.14.2.1] The members surrendering office may re-run in the subsequent election.
[4.14.3] In any case of leaving office the former Executive Member will be restored their previous form of membership whether that be as a Member State or a previously appointed Administrator.
[4.15] The executive’s term is limited to six months from the day of election. An election must be scheduled within this term.
[4.16] A member can only serve as part of the executive for an absolute maximum of three consecutive terms.
[4.2] THE DEPARTMENT OF ADMINISTRATORS is an appointed group of trusted members consisting of the Union Founder, the Executive, the Appointed Administrators and the Forum Managers primarily tasked with maintaining the forums and ensuring the constitution is upheld by all members.
[4.21] The Appointed Administrators are: Thomas, Daniel and Liberator444 (Geoff).
[4.21.1] This constitution applies no limit to the number of Appointed Administrators, but applies that the DOA/Executive will only appoint Administrators on a needs basis and in proportion to the total amount of members.
[4.21.2] The executive must ensure section 4.21 remains up to date with the current Appointed Administrators.
[4.22] The Forum Managers are assistants to the administrators providing moderation over their respective areas. The current Forum Managers are Kevin, in charge of union admissions.
[4.22.1] The executive must ensure section 4.22 remains up to date with the current Forum Managers.
[4.23] If an appointed member resigns, leaves the union or is consistently inactive their position will become available for the other administrators to appoint a new administrator.
[4.24] An administrator should have skills beneficial to the running of the union, be a trustworthy and mature individual and be willing to give up other commitments within the community to provide focus on their responsibilities to the union.
[4.3] THE MINISTERIAL CABINET consists of all elected ministers within the AIN. Currently they are Chief Justice, Minister of Parliamentary Services, Minister of Foreign Affairs, Minister of Education, Health and Public Safety and the Minister of Transportation. The cabinet never sits in session and is merely a collective term for all the Ministers.
[4.31] The Ministerial Cabinet is to be reformed and given guidance and powers in the near future.
[4.4] THE SENATE consists of all Member and Associate states of the union. Its primary function is for voting upon laws proposed and debated upon in the Legislative Assembly.
[4.41] Only members of the senate may vote on laws
[4.42] For a Class A bill to pass it must receive an absolute majority (more than 50%) of ‘Yes’ votes and remain in Senate until it has gained 10 votes.
[4.43] For a Class B bill to pass it must receive a one-vote majority of ‘Yes’ votes and remain in Senate for until it has gained 5 votes.
[4.45] For a Class C Bill to pass it must receive three ‘Yes’ votes and have approval of a cabinet member remaining in the senate until it has gained 5 votes.
[4.44] For a motion to pass it must receive four ‘Yes’ votes and have approval of a member of the executive with no minimum time of voting.
[4.45] Once a bill enters the senate, it must not be modified, amended further or changed in class without written permission of the president and the re-creation of the bill’s thread/poll.
[4.5] THE LEGISLATIVE ASSELMBLY consists of Member, Associate and Observer states of the union along with any Ambassadorial/Social member invited to debate or give evidence by a Member state.
[4.51] The purpose of the Legislative Assembly (Legislate) is for members to debate and amend laws before they go to vote along with allowing a decision to be made on the class of a law.
[4.52] It is a collective decision between the bill’s proposer and the Minister of Parliamentary Services on the class of a law when it is moved to senate.
[4.53] Class A bills apply to all members of the union if passed and become union law. Examples of a Class A bill include amendments to the constitution, ethical issues, laws that affect the budget of sovereign nations, bills that affect sovereignty, bills that drastically modify existing union policy and bills involving the rights of citizens.
[4.53.1] A vote-of-no-confidence in a member of the union government or the executive will be treated as a Class A Bill.
[4.54] Class B bills apply to all members of the union if passed and become union law. A nation can ask to be clauses during the Legislative Assembly stage and such clauses must be included in the bill when it goes to senate. Examples of a Class B bill include laws that encourage reform of sovereign legal systems, modify sovereign government policy on an issue that is covered by a union ministry (such as Transportation or Health) and those that encourage change in sovereign policy on security, nationality, military, taxation or foreign affairs.
[4.55] Class C bills are not de jure union law, even when passed and only need be ratified by nations that approve the law in the senate. However once a nation ratifies a Class C bill they must propose amendment to repeal it. Examples of a Class C Bill include laws that require change of exclusively sovereign issues, minor bills, military alliances and other such areas that do not affect/involve all nations of the union as a whole.
[4.55.1] Treaties are to be treated as a Class C Bill.
[4.56] Motions are emergency or temporary laws that do not need to enter the legislative assembly. Examples of such are halting debate on a certain issue for good reason, declaring war on an AIN nation, placing sanctions on a nation, filling a gap in law or requesting aid from nations of the union. The executive must give assent to motions after they get the required amount of votes in senate.
[4.56.1] The executive must also set a date or an event that will trigger the lapse of the motion.

DEBATE OPEN AS LONG AS NECESSARY

Last edited by Neil on 12th December 2010, 13:51; edited 2 times in total
Neil
Neil
Chargé d'Affaires

http://neilmoore.org.uk

Back to top Go down

PASSED: Constitution Review Part 4 of 10 - ROLE OF GOVERNMENT Empty Re: PASSED: Constitution Review Part 4 of 10 - ROLE OF GOVERNMENT

Post by Thomas 21st November 2010, 20:15

I'm happy with it at the moment. Obviously we will need to keep looking at it and going over it, to check there's no loopholes that may lead to the issues we had in September/October being repeated again.
Thomas
Thomas
Overlord of Eurasia

Male

Back to top Go down

PASSED: Constitution Review Part 4 of 10 - ROLE OF GOVERNMENT Empty Re: PASSED: Constitution Review Part 4 of 10 - ROLE OF GOVERNMENT

Post by Blakeway4 21st November 2010, 22:38

Man, this is long, it took me 10 minutes to read it all carefully! I agree with it, but I don't really understand the Class A, B & C bills thing...
Blakeway4
Blakeway4
International Bigwig

Back to top Go down

Post by Luug 22nd November 2010, 00:24

Sounds alright to me, but:
[4.11] When the President __ absent for more than 5 days, the Vice-President will be in charge of the executive with the Chief Justice as his deputy until the President returns (if the absence is scheduled with the Vice President) or an election is called.
There's a typo and I think there should be a clause that tells who can call the election of a new president/vice president after their (possibly unannounced) absence, and after what time can they do that.
Luug
Luug
Citizen

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Jo 22nd November 2010, 05:08

I like it its very nicely worded Neil... I'll have to read it again to see if its water tight..
i like the Class A,B,C as well.
Jo
Jo
Parliamentarian

http://www.simtropolis.com/cityjournals/?p=toc&id=1259

Back to top Go down

Post by MiguelLeal 22nd November 2010, 09:52

What is the class A, B, C type?
MiguelLeal
MiguelLeal
Chancellor

Back to top Go down

Post by Neil 22nd November 2010, 17:19

Luug wrote:Sounds alright to me, but:
[4.11] When the President __ absent for more than 5 days, the Vice-President will be in charge of the executive with the Chief Justice as his deputy until the President returns (if the absence is scheduled with the Vice President) or an election is called.
There's a typo and I think there should be a clause that tells who can call the election of a new president/vice president after their (possibly unannounced) absence, and after what time can they do that.

How about:

Code:
[4.11] When the President is absent for more than 5 days, without providing some form of written announcement (containing details of the length and nature of the absence), the Vice-President will take the role of President, with the Chief Justice as his deputy, and consult with the ministerial cabinet on when elections should be called and any necessary clauses surronding the absent President's return.

Code:
[4.11.2] This shall also apply if the president is scheduled to be absent for 8 days or more, with no need for an election

Julien wrote:Man, this is long, it took me 10 minutes to read it all carefully! I agree with it, but I don't really understand the Class A, B & C bills thing...
Jo wrote:I like it its very nicely worded Neil... I'll have to read it again to see if its water tight..
i like the Class A,B,C as well.
MiguelLeal wrote:What is the class A, B, C type?

This classification will required to be in the Bill/Law/Proposal/Thingermajing that needs voting upon in the senate once it gets moved to the senate, this has been included for the following reasons...

- It assists the union government in seeing how important a bill is and the rough length of time and exact number of votes it should be in the senate for, allowing less important bills to be quickly passed and more important ones to remain in senate so everyone gets an oppurtunity to vote.
- It clarifies to members on whether a law applies to them or not - everyone must adapt Class A bills into national law whereas Class C Bills are optional

If this passes i will be helping out with the transition to the new system and posting a step by step guide on how to propose a law providing ultimate clarification.
Neil
Neil
Chargé d'Affaires

Back to top Go down

Post by Luug 22nd November 2010, 21:38

PASSED: Constitution Review Part 4 of 10 - ROLE OF GOVERNMENT 72580321
I hope this picture helps understand the institutional bodies in the Alliance. Black arrows depict the election process and red arrows the legislative process.

Code:
[i]ABSENCE OF THE PRESIDENT[/i]
[4.11] The President [b]should[b] notify the community prior of absences taking longer than 5 days.
[4.11.1] If the President is absent for more than 5 days, the Vice-President will take the role of President, with the Chief Justice as his deputy.
[4.11.2] In such an event, a new Chief Justice must be appointed by the Department of Administrators.
[4.11.3] If the Presidents absence lasts over 8 days, announced or not, the Department of Administrators have the right the call the election of a new President after the 8th day.

I would also prefer to change the names of Law Classes A/B/C to Regulation / Decision / Policy and introduce Clause as legislative acts.

A regulation shall have general application. It shall be binding in its entirety and directly applicable in all Member Nations.
-Examples: Constitution
A decision shall be binding in its entirety upon those to whom it is addressed.
-Examples: Observers can not propose regulations or decisions.
A clause affects either already existing regulation or already existing decision but does not reverse it.
Policies shall have no binding force but are encouraged in the Alliance.
-Examples: Custom terrain mods, role-playing.

I would leave out treaties from the constitution, or just add that member nations may create lateral treaties as long as they do not interfere with the Regulations and are seen appropriate by the Senate.
Luug
Luug
Citizen

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by woodb3kmaster 22nd November 2010, 21:56

Overall, a fantastic job. I note, however, that section 4.2 (Dept. of Administrators) doesn't state whether or not that department has a head or chair, or whether all members of the department are equal, with no head. Such a clarification would be a good idea IMO as a way to prevent a repeat of the Sept/Oct brouhaha (along with keeping a copy of the constitution on the wiki, where unlawful modifications can be caught, a proposal I'll raise again when we get to the miscellaneous part of the constitution).
woodb3kmaster
woodb3kmaster
Permanent Secretary

Back to top Go down

Post by Neil 22nd November 2010, 22:11

Luug wrote:PASSED: Constitution Review Part 4 of 10 - ROLE OF GOVERNMENT 72580321
I hope this picture helps understand the institutional bodies in the Alliance. Black arrows depict the election process and red arrows the legislative process.

Code:
[i]ABSENCE OF THE PRESIDENT[/i]
[4.11] The President [b]should[b] notify the community prior of absences taking longer than 5 days.
[4.11.1] If the President is absent for more than 5 days, the Vice-President will take the role of President, with the Chief Justice as his deputy.
[4.11.2] In such an event, a new Chief Justice must be appointed by the Department of Administrators.
[4.11.3] If the Presidents absence lasts over 8 days, announced or not, the Department of Administrators have the right the call the election of a new President after the 8th day.

I would also prefer to change the names of Law Classes A/B/C to Regulation / Decision / Policy and introduce Clause as legislative acts.

A regulation shall have general application. It shall be binding in its entirety and directly applicable in all Member Nations.
-Examples: Constitution
A decision shall be binding in its entirety upon those to whom it is addressed.
-Examples: Observers can not propose regulations or decisions.
A clause affects either already existing regulation or already existing decision but does not reverse it.
Policies shall have no binding force but are encouraged in the Alliance.
-Examples: Custom terrain mods, role-playing.

I would leave out treaties from the constitution, or just add that member nations may create lateral treaties as long as they do not interfere with the Regulations and are seen appropriate by the Senate.

Thanks for that diagram - it is an excellent representation of the whole of Section 4.0...As for your proposals...

-- Observers can not really propose law at all as they are not a part of the senate.
-- We already have a classification system with different types of laws the A/B/C system is to simplifiy the system which some people still don't get
-- Treaties are covered under the constitution to give them some form of legal presidence
-- [4.11.3] is unfair as the president should be able to take an announced holiday or a leave of absence due to RL
-- This constitutional reform main aim is to separate the department of administrators from government

How about the following?

Code:

[4.11] The President must notify the community prior of absences taking longer than 3 days.
[4.11.1] If the President is scheduled to be absent for more than 5 days, the Vice-President will run the executive until their return.
[4.11.2] If the President is absent for more than 5 days without giving prior notification, the Vice-President will take the role of President, with the Chief Justice as his deputy.
[4.11.3] In such an event, a meeting will be called of the caretaker Executive and the Ministerial Cabinet to decide upon when the call elections, provide clauses for the caretaker government, clauses for the absent President's return and to appoint a temporary cheif justice.
Neil
Neil
Chargé d'Affaires

Back to top Go down

Post by Neil 22nd November 2010, 22:16

Sorry to double post, but hey this is MY thread Cheeky/Razz

Zack, the constitution will be on the wiki and in pdf format for exactly that reason.

I will add a point about the Department of Administrators, that it should be a totally collegiant collection of administators...as opposed to an actual department...with no involvement in government (except those members elected to office).
Neil
Neil
Chargé d'Affaires

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomas 24th November 2010, 18:14

When you say notify the community, is that through a thread or something? Because I've been away since Sunday, and told you Neil (can't remember if I told Daniel, I don't think I caught him at the weekend), so would that count, because you are a member and would be able to say that I was gone for three days?
I think the way that the President notifies people needs a bit of clarification.

On the chart, Observers and Ambassadors don't really get to propose anything in the Leg.Ass. so they might need to be excluded from that map.

I also believe that there should be a seperate sticky in the DPS explaining the Class system for members, because I always use the 5 Pillars post you made Neil when referring to cases, and I think a guide to the Class system would be useful.

Maybe the Dept of Admins should be renamed simply Administrators (and Executive)? So that there is no confusion again, as Zack says.
Thomas
Thomas
Overlord of Eurasia

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Luug 24th November 2010, 23:21

Thomas wrote:When you say notify the community, is that through a thread or something? Because I've been away since Sunday, and told you Neil (can't remember if I told Daniel, I don't think I caught him at the weekend), so would that count, because you are a member and would be able to say that I was gone for three days?
I think the way that the President notifies people needs a bit of clarification.
I put it as "Community", to not specify one way to do it and leave a little more freedom for the president. I would imagine a busy person in RL might not want to post 5-day (example) absence notes every week to the board so that everyone is aware of this, but it could be done though. But it would also allow someone else to announce of Presidents absence (what ever way the msg was received), of course "community" is 1+ people so there should be minimum 2 people who would need to know of the absence and pass it to the rest.
Please advise if you see a loop hole in this, as I don't. Smile

Thomas wrote:
On the chart, Observers and Ambassadors don't really get to propose anything in the Leg.Ass. so they might need to be excluded from that map.
Code:
[4.5] THE LEGISLATIVE ASSELMBLY consists of Member, Associate and Observer states of the union along with any Ambassadorial/Social member invited to debate or give evidence by a Member state.
So they get to debate, but not propose or vote? Sort of a EU Parliament I say, lots to talk, nothing to do. Cheeky/Razz
That's fine with me, just wasn't clear enough at first.

Getting back to Kevin:
-- We already have a classification system with different types of laws the A/B/C system is to simplifiy the system which some people still don't get
I still propose a change in the law names, as the Legislative assembly (people who pass, amend and repel laws) require tools to work with, they should know how to use their tools. The simplest tools what I can image are a new law (Class B), Regulation; a law that changes something (Class A): Decision, an amendment to existing law: Clause, and a proposition that is not sought to be law, at least as of yet: Policy.

The major difference between Regulation and Decision is that a Decision can be targeted, where as Regulations are general laws applying to everyone. The major difference between Clause and Decision is that whereas Clause amends a current law, a Decision can be a new proposal as well.

For example: The World Government has done 3 new legislative acts: A new regulation setting the minimum price for cabbage, a decision that South-Africa must stop polar bear hunting within its territorial waters, and it set a new policy to promote green clothes.

A week later the World Gov. accepts a clause for the decision regarding South Africa: the country is also responsible if a polar bear dies accidentally in the territorial waters.

As the Court of Justice, the Ministries or the Executive can not create laws by themselves I see these 4 tools quite necessary to keep running the government functionally.

-- Treaties are covered under the constitution to give them some form of legal presidence
Precedence over what? I still suggest to keep Treaties separate and only note them maybe in section [4.6] Member states are allowed to create treaties amongst themselves that do not weaken nor threaten the Alliance nor other member states.

-- [4.11.3] is unfair as the president should be able to take an announced holiday or a leave of absence due to RL
My point was to emphasize the word "right": after 8 days they have the right to call election, but they do not have to. But I am happy with your proposal as well, maybe needs a little tweaking but I'll get back to that.

-- This constitutional reform main aim is to separate the department of administrators from government
Going well I think but requires more distinction between the people who run things and people who propose things and how to run them (executive <-> legislature). I'll be getting back to this.
Luug
Luug
Citizen

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Neil 25th November 2010, 17:35

Luug........

1) As long as the president notifies a few people via chat or PM of his absence, this should be fine. If the attendence of the president is then questioned or needed these people can step up and give details of the said absence.

2) This allows treaties to be disputed in the AIN Court, although i do like the proposition you made there and will be adding it to the miscellaneus section.

3) The A/B/C system is exactly the same as your example - although it is called A/B/C which is short for the rather limited about of characters on the topic title within the main forum page and is also more universal for a multi-national union with lots of languages - if you wish i can add those names alongside the A/B/C classification but I am not happy about changing these as the legally required prefix

4) As for your last two points, these are 2 of probably the 5 most crucial points in the constitution which are there to shield the executive from being removed unlawfully and to provent misuse of authority. My 3 odd years in SC4 unions has shown me that these are the situations that cause the most conflict or unease to those in power.
Neil
Neil
Chargé d'Affaires

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomas 25th November 2010, 18:13

Which I can vouch for. Cheeky/Razz

Ambassadors have no real status within the union - they are the other people, those that aren't part of this union in any way or have just signed up or are former members.
Observers are basically Ambassadors that can be more integrated into union life, although the rule on CN's has been swayed with some members because they want to take time out without losing their CN area. Observer's only extra privilege is that they can compete in Union Games and union events.
-IMAGE REPRESENTATION-
Thomas
Thomas
Overlord of Eurasia

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Neil 29th November 2010, 21:17

This will go to senate within 24 hours
Neil
Neil
Chargé d'Affaires

Back to top Go down

Post by Luug 29th November 2010, 23:20

uh oh, I was caught a little off guard while making a new proposal..
Here is my revised proposal though. I've tried to use more simple words and add more sub points to identify specific fields of the [4].

In short:
[4] GOVERNMENT
[4.10-] THE EXECUTIVE
[4.20-] THE DEPARTMENT OF ADMINISTRATORS
[4.30-] THE SENATE
[4.40-] THE LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY
[4.50-] LAWS
[4.60-] THE MINISTERIAL CABINET

Code:
[4] GOVERNMENT
[4.1] The GOVERNMENT consists of 3 branches; Executive, Legislative and Judiciary branch.

[4.11.1] The EXECUTIVE consists of the President and his Vice-President.
[4.11.2] Only Full Members of the Alliance may run for Executive offices.
[4.11.3] The President and Vice-President are elected democratically by the SENATE.

[4.12.1] The President is head of the executive department but the executive should function as a diarchy in all but ceremonial occasions.
[4.12.2] The EXECUTIVE’s main roles include that of managing the administration of the forums, representing and promoting the union within the wider community, ensuring the domain and other paid services are maintained and sufficient funds are available for further subscription, preventing and solving union disputes, ensuring the smooth running of the SENATE and ensuring events take place smoothly and professionally amongst other minor roles.
[4.12.3] The EXECUTIVE will have all powers and privileges as administrators and the President will function as the Chief-Administrator.
[4.12.4] Unless a member of the EXECUTIVE is designated a permanent administrator, his administrative powers will be removed upon losing an election or resignation from office.

[4.13.1] The President must notify the community prior of absences taking longer than 3 days.
[4.13.2] If the President is scheduled to be absent for more than 5 days, the Vice-President will run the executive until their return.
[4.13.3] If the President is absent for more than 5 days without giving prior notification, the Vice-President will take the role of President, with the Chief Justice as his deputy.
[4.13.4] In such an event, a meeting will be called of the caretaker Executive and the Ministerial Cabinet to decide upon when the call elections, provide clauses for the caretaker government, clauses for the absent President's return and to appoint a temporary cheif justice.

[4.14.1] An Executive will retain their office until they either resign, surrender office after a vote of no confidence is placed in the executive, or allow their term to lapse via defeat in an election.
[4.14.2] A President/Vice-President may individually resign from office at any time during their elected term via a letter of resignation. If the President resigns, the Vice-President shall take up his position and the Ministerial Cabinet will elect a minister to take the VP’s post. If the VP resigns then the President shall appoint a new Vice-President out of the Ministerial Cabinet. The new VP in either case shall then appoint an acting minister to take up their original position until elections can take place.
[4.14.3] If a member raises Lack of Confidence (LOC) in the Executive, all ‘Full’ Member States will be called to a vote chaired by the Chief Justice and the member raising the LOC. If there is a co-census that the executive is not performing their duties to a satisfactory manner then a Vote of No Confidence (VOCN) is made and both members of the executive will be required to call an election and surrender their positions within a week of the VONC.
[4.14.4] Executive members surrendering office may re-run in the subsequent election.
[4.14.5] In any case of leaving office the former Executive Member will be restored their previous form of membership whether that be as a Member State or a previously appointed Administrator.

[4.15.1] The executive’s term is limited to six months from the day of election. An election must be scheduled within this term.
[4.15.2] A member can only serve as part of the executive for an absolute maximum of three consecutive terms.

[4.20.1] THE DEPARTMENT OF ADMINISTRATORS (DoA) is an appointed group of trusted members consisting of the Union Founder, the Executive and the Appointed Administrators and the Forum Managers.
[4.20.2] The primary tasks of the DoA are maintaining the forums and ensuring the constitution is upheld by all members.

[4.21.1] There is no limit to the number of Appointed Administrators, but Department of Administrators will only appoint Administrators on a needs basis in proportion to the total amount of members, and with the Executives consent.
[4.21.2] An administrator should have skills beneficial to the running of the union, be a trustworthy and mature individual and be willing to give up other commitments within the community to provide focus on their responsibilities to the union.
[4.21.3] The Appointed Administrators are currently: Thomas, Daniel and Liberator444 (Geoff).
[4.21.4] The Executive must ensure section 4.21.3 remains up to date with the current Appointed Administrators.

[4.22.1] The Forum Managers are assistants to the administrators providing moderation over their respective areas.
[4.22.2] There is no limit to the number of Forum Managers, but Department of Administrators will only appoint Forum Managers on a needs basis in proportion to the total amount of members, and with the Executives consent.
[4.22.3] The current Forum Managers are Kevin, in charge of union admissions.
[4.22.4] The Executive must ensure section 4.22.3 remains up to date with the current Forum Managers.

[4.23] If an appointed member resigns, leaves the union or is consistently inactive their position will become available for the other administrators to appoint a new administrator.

[4.30] THE SENATE consists of all Member and Associate Members of the union.
[4.31] THE SENATE's primary function is to introduce and vote upon laws proposed and debated upon in the Legislative Assembly.
[4.32] Only members of the Senate may introduce and vote upon bills.

[4.40.1] THE LEGISLATIVE ASSELMBLY consists of Member, Associate and Observer states of the union.
[4.40.2] Any Ambassadorial/Social member may be invited by the ___ to debate a bill in the Legislative Assembly.

[4.41.1] The purpose of the Legislative Assembly is to debate, amend and propose  laws before they go to vote along with allowing a decision to be made on the class of a law.
[4.41.2] All bills must be discussed in the Legislative Assembly before they can be voted upon in the Senate.

[4.42.1] It is the collective decision between the bill’s proposer and the Minister of Parliamentary Services when it is to be moved to the Senate.
[4.42.2] Once the decision has been made for a bill to be moved to the Senate, it's Class must also be defined by the MoP and the proposer.
[4.42.3] Once a bill enters the Senate, it must not be modified, amended further or changed in Class without written permission of the president and the re-creation of the bill’s thread/poll.

[4.51.1] Class A bills must receive an absolute majority (more than 50%) of ‘Yes’ votes and remain in Senate until it has gained 10 votes to pass.
[4.51.2] Class A bills apply to all members of the union if passed and become union law.
[4.51.3] Examples of a Class A bill include amendments to the constitution, ethical issues, laws that affect the budget of sovereign nations, bills that affect sovereignty, bills that drastically modify existing union policy and bills involving the rights of citizens. Also a vote-of-no-confidence to a member of the union government or the executive will be treated as a Class A Bill.

[4.52.1] Class B bills must receive a one-vote majority of ‘Yes’ votes and remain in Senate for until it has gained 5 votes to pass.
[4.52.2] Class B bills apply to all members of the union if passed and become union law.
[4.52.3] Examples of a Class B bill include laws that encourage reform of sovereign legal systems, modify sovereign government policy on an issue that is covered by a union ministry (such as Transportation or Health) and those that encourage change in sovereign policy on security, nationality, military, taxation or foreign affairs.

[4.53.1] Class C bills must receive three ‘Yes’ votes, have approval of a Minister and remain in the senate until it has gained 5 votes to pass.
[4.53.2] Class C bills are not de jure union law, even when passed and only need be ratified by nations that approve the law in the senate. However once a nation ratifies a Class C bill they must propose amendment to repeal it.
[4.53.3] Examples of a Class C Bill include laws that require change of exclusively sovereign issues, minor bills, military alliances and other such areas that do not affect/involve all nations of the union as a whole. Also treaties are to be treated as a Class C Bill.

[4.54.1] For a motion to pass it must receive four ‘Yes’ votes and have approval of a member of the Executive with no minimum time of voting.
[4.54.2] The executive must also set a date or an event that will trigger the lapse of the motion.
[4.54.3] Motions are emergency or temporary laws that do not need to enter the legislative assembly.
[4.54.4] Examples of such are halting debate on a certain issue for good reason, declaring war on an AIN nation, placing sanctions on a nation, filling a gap in law or requesting aid from nations of the union.

[4.60.1] THE MINISTERIAL CABINET consists of all elected ministers within the AIN. The cabinet never sits in session and is merely a collective term for all the Ministers.
[4.60.2] Ministers are elected from the Members of the Union.
[4.60.3] The current Ministerial positions are: Chief Justice, Minister of Parliamentary Services, Minister of Foreign Affairs, Minister of Education, Health and Public Safety and the Minister of Transportation.
[4.60.4] The Ministers should show competency to
[4.61] The Ministerial Cabinet is to be reformed and given guidance and powers in the near future.
Luug
Luug
Citizen

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Jo 30th November 2010, 04:19

I support this section but feel a sub-clause should be added, possibly within this section or maybe in the Misc section in regards to motions of no confidence. I believe that motions of no confidence should only be brought if there are serious concerns. As a way to discourage the misuse of a motion of no confidence i believe that there should be a punishment associated to the use of a frivolous no confidence motions and that the motion would need a seconder. If a no confidence motion fails to pass the senate then the member who proposed the motion and the seconder would receive a 1 month ban from the Alliance, or a demotion.
Jo
Jo
Parliamentarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Jo 30th November 2010, 04:29

sorry for the double post but i believe the senate should only vote on bills, proposals, motions originating from the Legislative Assembly which have passed a vote in the Legislative Assembly. It should only introduce motions of no confidence.
Jo
Jo
Parliamentarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luug 30th November 2010, 14:53

Jo wrote:I support this section but feel a sub-clause should be added, possibly within this section or maybe in the Misc section in regards to motions of no confidence. I believe that motions of no confidence should only be brought if there are serious concerns. As a way to discourage the misuse of a motion of no confidence i believe that there should be a punishment associated to the use of a frivolous no confidence motions and that the motion would need a seconder. If a no confidence motion fails to pass the senate then the member who proposed the motion and the seconder would receive a 1 month ban from the Alliance, or a demotion.
I agree, maybe replace 4.15 with laws regarding No confidence claims and move the current term conditions to 4.16?

Jo wrote:sorry for the double post but i believe the senate should only vote on bills, proposals, motions originating from the Legislative Assembly which have passed a vote in the Legislative Assembly. It should only introduce motions of no confidence.
Can you clarify a bit more? What I've understood from the previous constitution is that bills (proposals) can only be suggested by the Senate/members. These are then discussed in the Legislative Assembly and necessary amendments and clauses are added to it. From there they taken back with the consensus of the Minister of Parliamentary Services and the bill proposer, into the senate to be voted.

Thus the AIN 'parliament' is a bicameral parliament with the Senate acting as the upper house with the actual legislative power, and the Legislative Assembly working as the lower house with no actual power except to give ideas and recommendations for the Senate.
Luug
Luug
Citizen

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Neil 30th November 2010, 15:09

Jo wrote:I support this section but feel a sub-clause should be added, possibly within this section or maybe in the Misc section in regards to motions of no confidence. I believe that motions of no confidence should only be brought if there are serious concerns. As a way to discourage the misuse of a motion of no confidence i believe that there should be a punishment associated to the use of a frivolous no confidence motions and that the motion would need a seconder. If a no confidence motion fails to pass the senate then the member who proposed the motion and the seconder would receive a 1 month ban from the Alliance, or a demotion.

This is the reason that the constitution sets out a meeting chaired by the Chief Justice and requires a vote of all Member States. It would be highly unlikely that an absolute majority of Member States would vote down a President (remember abstainers dont count on Class A bills, whilst on Class B bills they are essentially votes for the winning side of the vote) and if it was to happen, then it would be clear that disapproval in the executive is high and the union would be better off with the executive surrending office.

The constitution also does not set out punishment guidelines or specific rules for individual members, these are included in the forum rules (coming to the senate soon) in which punishment guidelines and actual specific rules for members have been set out for the Cheif Justice and juries whilst allowing them a bit more freedom in setencing depending on the seriousness of the offence and the context of the offence.

----

Overall that is an excellent collation Luug and I will be [double]posting after this with the version to be voted on (including a slight amendment in the terms used by Luug and the examples for the Classifcation system in which some were under the wrong class :s). Thanks....
Neil
Neil
Chargé d'Affaires

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomas 30th November 2010, 18:14

Around 4.14.2, which has procedures for a Presidential resignation and a VP resignation, you need procedures for a scenario if they both resign. In October both myself and Daniel nearly resigned, so a procedure for that scenario needs to be made.
Thomas
Thomas
Overlord of Eurasia

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Neil 1st December 2010, 21:12

MOVED TO SENATE - THIS WILL REQUIRE AN ABSOLUTE MAJORITY WITH TEN VOTES TO PASS

Amended Section 4.0 wrote:
[4.1] The GOVERNMENT will consist of 3 branches; Executive, Legislative and Judiciary branch.

[4.2] The EXECUTIVE consists of the President and his Vice-President. It is the dominant branch, scruntinized politcally by the Legislative (made up of the Ministerial Cabinet, the Senate and the Legislative Asselmbly) and independently scruntinized in an apolitical fashion by the Judiciary.

[4.21] Only Full Members of the Alliance may run for Executive offices.

[4.22] The President and Vice-President are elected democratically by Member States and Associate Members.

[4.23] The President is head of the Executive but the Executive should function as a diarchy in all but ceremonial occasions.

[4.24] The Executive's main roles include that of managing the administration of the forums, representing and promoting the union within the wider community, ensuring the domain and other paid services are maintained and sufficient funds are available for further subscription, preventing and solving union disputes, ensuring the smooth running of the Senate and ensuring events take place smoothly and professionally amongst other minor roles.
[4.24.1] Section 4.24 is not an exhaustive list and the duties of the Executive also cover the general duties of the administration team and anyother duties that come about in the daily running of the union.

[4.25] The Executive will have all powers and privileges as administrators and the President will function as the chairman of the administration team.
[4.25.1] The Executive are equal to the appointed administrators outside of government, including the position as chairman which is only for organisational purposes.
[4.25.2] Unless a member of the Executive is appointed as a permanent administrator, his administrative powers will be removed upon leaving office.

[4.26] The President must notify the community prior of absences taking longer than 3 days.
[4.26.1] If the President is scheduled to be absent for more than 5 days, the Vice-President will run the executive until their return.
[4.26.2] If the President is absent for more than 5 days without giving prior notification, the Vice-President will take the role of President, with the Chief Justice as his deputy.
[4.26.3] In such an event, a meeting will be called of the caretaker Executive and the Ministerial Cabinet to decide upon when the call elections, provide clauses for the caretaker government, clauses for the absent President's return and to appoint a temporary chief justice.

[4.27] An Executive will retain their office until they either resign, surrender office after a vote of no confidence is placed in the executive, or allow their term to lapse via defeat in an election.
[4.27.1] A President/Vice-President may individually resign from office at any time during their elected term via a letter of resignation. If the President resigns, the Vice-President shall take up his position and the Ministerial Cabinet will elect a minister to take the VP’s post. If the VP resigns then the President shall appoint a new Vice-President out of the Ministerial Cabinet. The new VP in either case shall then appoint an acting minister to take up their original position until elections can take place.
[4.27.2] In the case of both members of the Executive resigning, the government is suspended with the roles of the Executive temporarily carried out by the Chief Justice and the administration team for a maximum period of 10 days to allow a 3 day campaign period and a week's voting period in emergency elections.
[4.27.2.1] The Chief Justice will not be granted administrator privledges during this period and no member shall have any power of patronage.

[4.28] If a Member State raises Lack of Confidence (LOC) in the Executive, all Member States will be called to a vote chaired by the Chief Justice and the member raising the LOC. If there is a co-census that the executive is not performing their duties to a satisfactory manner then a Vote of No Confidence (VOCN) is made and both members of the executive will be required to call an election and surrender their positions within a week of the VONC.
[4.28.1] Executive members surrendering office may re-run in the subsequent election.
[4.28.2] In any case of leaving office the former Executive Member will be restored their previous form of membership whether that be as a Member State or a previously appointed Administrator.

[4.29] The executive’s term is limited to six months from the day of election.
[4.29.1]An election must be scheduled within this term.
[4.29.2] A member can only serve as part of the executive for an absolute maximum of three consecutive terms.

[4.3] THE ADMINISTRATION TEAM is an appointed group of trusted members consisting of the Union Founder, the Executive and the Appointed Administrators and the Forum Managers.

[4.31] The primary tasks of the Administration Team are maintaining the forums and ensuring the constitution is upheld by all members.

[4.32] The formal power of patronage in the Administration Team lies with the President, although the Administration Team can recommend members. The Administration Team must also approve of all applicants or appointed members through a one-vote simple majority.

[4.33] There is no limit to the number of Appointed Administrators, but they shall only be appointed in a technocratic matter by the President with the Administration Teams collective authorisation.
[4.33.1] An administrator should have skills beneficial to the running of the union, be a trustworthy and mature individual and be willing to give up other commitments within the community to provide focus on their responsibilities to the union.
[4.33.2] The Appointed Administrators are currently: Thomas, Daniel and Liberator444 (Geoff).
[4.33.3] The Executive must ensure section 4.33.2 remains up to date with the current Appointed Administrators.

[4.34] The Forum Managers are assistants to the administrators providing moderation over their respective areas.
[4.34.1] There is no limit to the number of Forum Managers, but they will only be appointed Forum Managers on a needs basis in proportion to the total amount of members, and with the Executives consent.
[4.34.2] The current Forum Managers are Kevin, in charge of union admissions.
[4.34.3] The Executive must ensure section 4.22.3 remains up to date with the current Forum Managers.

[4.35] If an appointed member resigns, leaves the union or is consistently inactive their position will become available for the other administrators to appoint a new administrator.

[4.4] THE SENATE consists of all Member and Associate Members of the union.
[4.41] THE SENATE's primary function is to introduce and vote upon laws proposed and debated upon in the Legislative Assembly.
[4.42] Only members of the Senate may introduce and vote upon bills.

[4.5] THE LEGISLATIVE ASSELMBLY consists of Member, Associate and Observer states of the union.
[4.51] Any Ambassadorial/Social member may be invited by a member to debate a bill in the Legislative Assembly if they have reason to believe they will contribute positively to the debate with expertise or past experience.
[4.52] The purpose of the Legislative Assembly is to debate, amend and propose laws before they go to vote along with allowing a decision to be made on the class of a law.
[4.53] All bills must be discussed in the Legislative Assembly before they can be voted upon in the Senate.
[4.53.1] It is the collective decision between the bill’s proposer and the Minister of Parliamentary Services when it is to be moved to the Senate.
[4.53.2] Once the decision has been made for a bill to be moved to the Senate, it's Class must also be defined by the MoP and the proposer.
[4.53.3] Once a bill enters the Senate, it must not be modified, amended further or changed in Class without written permission of the president and the re-creation of the bill’s thread/poll.

[4.54] Class A bills must receive an absolute majority (more than 50%) of ‘Yes’ votes and remain in Senate until it has gained 10 votes to pass.
[4.54.1] Class A bills apply to all members of the union if passed and become union law that superceedes national, sovereign law.
[4.54.2] Examples of a Class A bill include amendments to the constitution, ethical issues, laws that affect the budget of sovereign nations, bills that affect sovereignty, bills that drastically modify existing union policy and bills involving the rights of citizens. Also a vote-of-no-confidence to a member of the union government or the executive will be treated as a Class A Bill.

[4.55] Class B bills must receive a one-vote majority of ‘Yes’ votes and remain in Senate for until it has gained 5 votes to pass.
[4.55.1] Class B bills apply to all members of the union if passed and become union law that superceedes national, sovereign law.
[4.55.2] Examples of a Class B bill include laws that encourage reform of sovereign legal systems or modify sovereign government policy on an issue that is covered by a union ministry (such as Transportation or Health).

[4.56] Class C bills must receive three ‘Yes’ votes, have approval of a Minister and remain in the senate until it has gained 5 votes to pass.
[4.56.1] Class C bills are not de jure union law, even when passed and only need be ratified by nations that approve the law in the senate. However once a nation ratifies a Class C bill they must propose amendment to repeal it.
[4.56.2] Examples of a Class C Bill include laws that require change of exclusively sovereign issues, minor bills, military alliances and and those that encourage change in sovereign policy on security, nationality, military, taxation or foreign affairs. Also treaties are to be treated as a Class C Bill.

[4.57] For a motion to pass it must receive four ‘Yes’ votes and have approval of a member of the Executive with no minimum time of voting.
[4.57.1] The executive must also set a date or an event that will trigger the lapse of the motion.
[4.57.2] Motions are emergency or temporary laws that do not need to enter the legislative assembly.
[4.57.3] Examples of such are halting debate on a certain issue for good reason, declaring war on an AIN nation, placing sanctions on a nation, filling a gap in law or requesting aid from nations of the union.

[4.6] THE MINISTERIAL CABINET consists of all elected ministers within the AIN. The cabinet never sits in session and is merely a collective term for all the Ministers.
[4.61] Ministers are elected from the Members of the Union.
[4.62] The current Ministerial positions are: Chief Justice, Minister of Parliamentary Services, Minister of Foreign Affairs, Minister of Education, Health and Public Safety and the Minister of Transportation.
[4.63] The Ministers should show competency to their department and a general collegiancy with the collective union government.
[4.64] The Ministerial Cabinet is to be reformed and given guidance and powers in the near future.

VOTING OPEN
Neil
Neil
Chargé d'Affaires

Back to top Go down

Post by woodb3kmaster 1st December 2010, 22:54

Voted.
woodb3kmaster
woodb3kmaster
Permanent Secretary

Back to top Go down

Post by Jo 1st December 2010, 22:59

voted
Jo
Jo
Parliamentarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next