AIN Forums 1.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A nation's capital

2 posters

Go down

A nation's capital Empty A nation's capital

Post by Neil 24th January 2010, 19:50

Okay so I am currently remodelling my nation - but to keep it realistic I want to create a sprawling hi-res city on a man-made island off the coast of Holidia (i.e. Rathlin Island). This means I future that I could possibly recreate Northern Ireland as realisitically as possible without having to account for a huge new capital.

My planned history is that the island was discovered in the 16th Century by spanish sailors, who got on it after retreating from battle during the spanish aramda - they soon established a small village and eventually crossed over the small piece of water to Ireland bringing more inhabitants encouraged by a better quality of life. The village grew into a small town, controlled and administered by Spain and remained that way until the late 18th century when the British occupied it. Island life was much the same under British control except the spanish were evicted and the english language was introduced, this caused little problem as most of the residents spoke irish exclusively.

In the 1950s as part of a plan to establish a fairer balance between the industrial, urban and rich east of Northern Ireland and the irish republic, the British (who still controlled the island - even after irish independence) provided a massive urban development plan for the island - based around it's exclusive position for a massive fishing fleet and offshore oil. The paln included urban motorways, housing estates, a new city centre and most importantly - a tunnel link to Donegal.

When Holidia was created the government took control of the island and it eventually redeveloped much of the deterierated city in which none of the authorites had done any regeneration since the early 60s.

Okay so I have -

* An Old Town
* Seven Artifiical Islands making up a highly efficient port
* Stormont Island - the capital zone
* Across from Stormont and the old town (in between is a large river) I have the 1960s CBD
* North of the CBD is 1960s suburbs
* Further west (in a new city tile) is the 2006 addition section: Univeristy, Airport, Proposed Simlympic Park

I have the main features, but i'm struggling filling in gaps - any areas/BATs people can recommend?
Neil
Neil
Chargé d'Affaires

http://neilmoore.org.uk

Back to top Go down

A nation's capital Empty Re: A nation's capital

Post by anarchy0029 25th January 2010, 05:33

I look forward to some more work you're putting on.
anarchy0029
anarchy0029
Counsel

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#/home.php?ref=logo

Back to top Go down