AIN Forums 1.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Driving In Holidia

4 posters

Go down

Driving In Holidia Empty Driving In Holidia

Post by Neil 1st June 2010, 23:12

Holidia is investing huge amounts into transport infrastructure - it is now around 9.2% of their GDP that goes into road improvements. Since independence there have been huge changes in the Holidian road system. I have covered numbering before (I.e. M,A,B and C roads). Know I present everything else you need to know.

Speed Limits

Speed is something Holidia is quite liberal about - but breaking a posted limit is becoming a serious offence - particularly in built-up areas and high speed roads. Last year, in a bid to curb speeding on restricted roads the government re-launched unrestricted roads, abolished in 1973 these roads have no speed limit - they tend to be small rural roads which have very low volumes of traffic or wide motorways with long distances between junctions and gentle curves. These roads are nicknamed common-sense roads, because basically the only laws are that you have a driving licence, insurance and MOT (and the motorway regulations on derestricted motorway sections). They are marked by the following sign:
Driving In Holidia Derest10
This sign cancels all speed, parking and overtaking restrictions...
On other roads Holidia applies a national speed limit system. Which has 3 categories for each type of road - Cars/Motorcycles, Buses/Small Lorries, Large and Articulated Lorries. The speed limit is different for each type of road as well - Motorways, Dual Carriageways (Divided Highways), Rural Single Carriageways and Bulit-up areas. NSL is marked by this sign (except in built up areas) which cancels any previous speed restriction:
Driving In Holidia Nsl10
NSL is as follows in Holidia (MPH):
Driving In Holidia Hdaspe10

NOTE: Local authorities may put in place other local speed limits on certain stretches of road - such as reducing the speed on an urban dual carriageway or allowing a 40Mph limit on a built up road with little frontage.

Other Facts

Drives On: Left
Most Cars: Manual
Driver on the: Right
Speeds In: MPH (May change to Km/h in line with Ireland)
Distances in: Miles
Seatbelts Mandatory: Yes
Insurance Mandatory: Yes
MOT Mandatory: Yes
Minimum Driving Age: 17 (Universal), 16 (Mopeds under 125cc and Agricultural Vehicles) -- also 22 for normal (reduced) insurance premiums and to drive a bus/lorry
Maximum Blood Alcohol Level: 0.088
Fuel Availabilty: Unleaded and Diesel Only, around 82 pence a litre for unleaded and 89 pence a litre for diesel - red diesel not permitted for road use.
Mobile Phones: Banned completely, only certain bluetooth headsets permitted
Lights: Must be dipped on motorway and when there is an oncoming vehicle at night, not permitted during the day except in foggy/dark conditions
Enforcement/Fines: Fines are heavy for violations and can be on-the-spot if under £1000. Holidia also operates a points system where 12 points disqualifies a licence for 5 years.
Road Quality: Excellent and improving on trunk roads, mediocre to poor on small rural roads
Driving Quality: Superior -- Drivers are restricted for 18 months after passing a strict pracitcal and theory test, during this time they have to do a snow/night/wet conditions test and have no violations to receive a full licence after the 18 months.

---

Your comments would be appreciated - I am also going to do the speed table for everyone if they wish....

Last edited by Neil on 2nd June 2010, 00:01; edited 1 time in total
Neil
Neil
Chargé d'Affaires

http://neilmoore.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Driving In Holidia Empty Re: Driving In Holidia

Post by Cyclone-1001 1st June 2010, 23:22

The standardized speed limits are nice, I think I might do something like that. I like no speed limits.
Cyclone-1001
Cyclone-1001
Councillor

Back to top Go down

Post by Neil 1st June 2010, 23:50

True story we had them in outside towns in NI until 1973 -- I can do one up for ya if you want to PM me Wink
Neil
Neil
Chargé d'Affaires

http://neilmoore.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2nd June 2010, 01:36

Nice work!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sky Guy 2nd June 2010, 02:39

Cool! Lots of hard work... something that I am not very good at- haha