AIN Forums 1.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Arcacia V. Ollingdale

+8
JJ
emgmod
Edge
Saathoff
Neil
Blakeway4
ForthWall
Daniel
12 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Arcacia V. Ollingdale Empty Arcacia V. Ollingdale

Post by Daniel 23rd May 2010, 16:38

The Republic of Arcacia hereby formally charges that the United Islands of Ollingdale are acting in breach of Article 6.6 of the AIN Constitution.

"ON1, the national security service, has also been given the green light to arrest and sentence terrorists outside of a normal court of law, which breaches the AIN Constitution, under Section 6.0."

Plaintiff(s): Republic of Arcacia, Lycanth Republic
Defendant: United Islands of Ollingdale
Judge: REQUIRED
Jury: REQUIRED
Daniel
Daniel
On Leave

Back to top Go down

Arcacia V. Ollingdale Empty Re: Arcacia V. Ollingdale

Post by ForthWall 23rd May 2010, 16:46

When did this happen? How and Why?
ForthWall
ForthWall
Chancellor

Back to top Go down

Post by Blakeway4 23rd May 2010, 16:48

I may be in the Jury Cheeky/Razz
Blakeway4
Blakeway4
International Bigwig

Back to top Go down

Post by Neil 23rd May 2010, 17:39

Holidia supports the actions of the United Islands of Ollingdale and will assit with their defence during this trial
Neil
Neil
Chargé d'Affaires

http://neilmoore.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Saathoff 23rd May 2010, 18:12

i got judge Smile
Saathoff
Saathoff
Prime Minister

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Edge 23rd May 2010, 19:40

I can be jury.
Edge
Edge
Chargé d'Affaires

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by emgmod 23rd May 2010, 21:24

I want to be in Jury.
emgmod
emgmod
High Commissioner

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 23rd May 2010, 21:28

I canbe a jury. But, when?

Back to top Go down

Post by JJ 24th May 2010, 20:04

Oh I definitely want to be on the Jury (I call foreman, since I'm the oldest juror, LOL) It's about time we had a good trial.
JJ
JJ
Permanent Secretary

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomas 24th May 2010, 20:38

What is the maximum sentence I will face?
Thomas
Thomas
Overlord of Eurasia

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Saathoff 25th May 2010, 04:18

Depends. Gotta go through the court process. Will Start court tmr. Both sides can explain the stories over 4 days. Saturday, Jurors will met via Skype whenever works best. If a Jury can't make it thats. Fine. Will tally votes this weekend. And the verdict will come Sunday evening Smile
Saathoff
Saathoff
Prime Minister

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Neil 25th May 2010, 17:29

I call jury as well...
Neil
Neil
Chargé d'Affaires

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomas 25th May 2010, 17:46

Is it roleplay court or High court?
Thomas
Thomas
Overlord of Eurasia

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by emgmod 25th May 2010, 19:55

Well, time to finally download Skype.

Edit: It's created. Now what? My email used is emgmod(at)yahoo(dot)com
emgmod
emgmod
High Commissioner

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Saathoff 26th May 2010, 00:34

roleplaying. Right here. The Jury will meet in Skype to go over details. But be smart with your roleplaying. Say Ollingdale does get charged. It could result in some form of punishment towards your nation. (We won't ban or take your membership away:) )

Roleplaying Session is Now Beginning

Welcome to the AIN Court. Today we have Arcacia V. Ollingdale. For Ollingdale breaching Article 6.6 in the Constitution of AIN. I now declare court open, and would like Arcacia to present there case to th Jury.

Keep formal roleplaying in italics. Off-topic writing should be in normal font. Again roleplaying font needs to be italicized
Saathoff
Saathoff
Prime Minister

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Neil 26th May 2010, 00:48

emgmod - you need to create a skype account which you set up during the installation. Put this skype ID under your profile and then you will be added to all the AIN convos
Neil
Neil
Chargé d'Affaires

Back to top Go down

Post by emgmod 26th May 2010, 01:06

I set up the account. Where would the Skype ID be?
emgmod
emgmod
High Commissioner

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 26th May 2010, 01:27

It's on your profile. Unfortunally, I have my Skype program not working.

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel 26th May 2010, 06:57

Thank you, Your Honour. The section of the constitution that Ollingdale is accused of breaching is one that Arcacia takes very seriously. It is the section that guarantees rights to citizens. Specifically in this case, section 6.6 reads, very simply, that all people are equal before the law.

Let us explore the meaning of "all people are equal before the law." The language is not ambiguous, nor is it disparate. All people, regardless of who they are, where they come from or what they are alleged to have done, are to be treated equally in all aspects of legislation. It means that laws cannot be passed which discriminate against individuals or groups of individuals. It also means that in all aspects of judicial matters an individual, or group of individuals, may not be treated differently than any other individual or group of individuals.

Ollingdale, with its use of a government body that is, by design, subjecting people to trial and sentencing outside the normal legal processes, in in breach of this act. These trials are not open to public scrutiny. They are not held in a court of law, but in a secret location.

Our ambassador, when meeting with the Prime Minister of Ollingdale, was not told, despite repeated requests, whether suspects appear before a judge or have access to legal counsel. In light of the clandestine nature of these "trials" it is the opinion of both the Republic of Arcacia and the Lycanth Republic that suspects arrested and detained by ON1 are not granted the same right to a defence that is guaranteed to any other citizen.

Therefore, Ollingdale has, as part of it's judicial system, a modus operandi that is in direct contravention to Article 6.6. In Ollingdale, Your Honour, not all people are equal before the law.
Daniel
Daniel
On Leave

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomas 28th May 2010, 17:00

Nate? What next? This needs to be finished by the 1st of June, or the entire senior representatives of the UIO will be in Holidia and not at Court.
Thomas
Thomas
Overlord of Eurasia

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by JJ 28th May 2010, 21:18

well... i think Ollingdale should present its case.
JJ
JJ
Permanent Secretary

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter 29th May 2010, 18:50

Seeing as Nate isn't here, Ollingdale please present your case.
Peter
Peter
Honoured Member
Honoured Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomas 29th May 2010, 19:33

Thank you, Your Honour. The security of the nation of Ollingdale is of the utmost importance to my Government, therefore any measure we take is clearly made to protect the public and the people of the AIN that visit my country. The threat faced now is the worst that the United Islands have ever seen. We do not take this breach of the Constitution lightly - it was a hard decision to make and the heads of the relevant departments of my Government spent many weeks deciding what to do in this matter. We also take the Constitution seriously, but the protection of the public in Ollingdale is vitally important as well.

We do not discriminate against any members of the public - but clearly, when somebody is part of a terrorist organisation, which is what the Ollingdale National Party is, they cannot be allowed to roam the streets with guns, shooting at police and the army in public places. Only a few days ago, the leader of the ONP was shot when his group launched a violent attack on my country home, just a week before I meet the Holidian premier in that very building, that his organisation attacked with machine guns and petrol bombs. The risk posed by these terrorists make it impossible to treat them like a petty thief or a drunk driver. In an ideal world, we would treat these people in the same way that we treat every other person that is arrested.
A majority of the trials are held in a court of law and are open to scrutiny, although in a minority of cases, the trials of the senior figures in terrorist organisations for example, obviously cannot be held in public - the risk posed to that person or to other people around them in court is huge, and the possibility that the criminal could be attacked by a grieving relative of a person their group killed, is too high to chance. Again, the security of the accused and those around them is the priority.

The introduction of this new system to counter terrorism was only brought in a few hours before I had a brief discussion with the Arcacian Ambassador in Ollingdale. I had not been, at the time, briefed on the new rules as they had been introduced very quickly following several deaths at the hands of the ONP. In fact, I was on my way to an emergency meeting with the head of the Law and Order Office and the head of the Ollingdale Security Services, so the reason I could not answer the Arcacian's question is because I had not been told the full details at the time.

To summarise, the opinion of fellow AIN nations is highly important to my government, but the security of the citizens will always be put first.
The public in Ollingdale demand that they can walk to the shops safely, go to work without worrying about being shot at, or travel abroad without the fear of dying in a bomb attack on the way to the airport. This is my priority - and is the sole reason that we have these strong counter-terrorism measures.
Thomas
Thomas
Overlord of Eurasia

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by JJ 29th May 2010, 20:35

I would say its time for a counter argument from the plaintiff
JJ
JJ
Permanent Secretary

Back to top Go down

Post by anarchy0029 30th May 2010, 00:04

sharaunque1 wrote:Oh I definitely want to be on the Jury (I call foreman, since I'm the oldest juror, LOL) It's about time we had a good trial.

Dude you were born in 1979. I think I'm older than everyone here. I was born in 1976. So I LOL, I got more over you homey. Jus' messin' w/ ya. Put me down as Juror. This would be an interesting topic.
anarchy0029
anarchy0029
Counsel

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#/home.php?ref=logo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next